Mar 21, 2012

Easter dress - 98% completed

I'm just about done with my daughter's Easter dress.  All I have left to do is slipstitch the lining to the zipper. She LOVES it so far, and is begging me to let her wear it before Easter.  Sorry kiddo!   Things I've learned so far on this project:
  1. Cutting takes nearly as long as the sewing does.
  2. But a rotary blade does make it go faster.
  3. Apparently the cutting ladies at the craft store need to learn how to interpret the data on the back of a pattern packet, the parts that tell one how much fabric is needed in case they have a novice asking them about that sort of thing.  Or I do so I know how much to ask for.  I came up short on the first batch of tulle and did not have enough, so I had to go back and get more.
  4. Tulle is a pain in the butt to sew.  And the static... OMG!
  5. Me and the seam ripper became good friends.
  6. My narrow hemmer foot is too "narrow" to hem this project. Oh what a mess that made.  Thank goodness I started with the lining!
  7. I got pretty good at prepping the hem on the fly for freehand hemming.  Woot!
  8. I need to be more generous with my seams.
  9. I can do a pretty mean lining extension if I need to, if I have enough extra fabric for the lining.  I needed to extend the bodice lining because of #8.  It came up short and the bodice/dress seam fell below the bodice lining and I knew it would drive my daughter bonkers if I didn't do something about it.  So I added about three to four inches to it.  Yay me!
I think it's turning out pretty good for my first "major, non-simple" project.  But I can't unveil my handywork until Easter!  I'll post pics when she's worn it that day.  So you'll just have to wait to see it. 😉